Etsy

Monday, 13 July 2009

A Random Topic

Just off the top of my head I decided to share a list of my top ten books from when I was a child. The following books I simply loved for so many different reasons...

1. Princess Smarty Pants by Babette Cole.
I read this book when I was seven years old. I loved the cheekiness of the princess and the loose, funny illustrations.

2. The Big Bunny and the Magic Show by Steven Kroll.
This book was ordered from Book Club at school near Easter time. I was about eight. I love the bunny and felt sorry for him when things didn't work out with his new career. The colours and gentle medium of the illustrations also left an imprint on my memory.

3.  Penny Pollard's Diary by Robin Klein.
Who could ever pass up an opportunity to read someone else's diary. Luckily in this case it is a completely fictional diary. So no shame there.

4. The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy.
Before there was Harry Potter we had the clumsy Mildred. Who wouldn't dream of going to a school where one learnt to cast spells.

5. Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by EL Konigsburg.
Again the witch theme is prevalent. In this case, rather than magic being real it is more a case of a lonely girl with a very active imagination.

6. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume.
Pee-tah! Who could forget the way Farley would say his brother's name in this story. Funnily this book was introduced to my class by our fourth grade teacher. Ever since this story Judy Blume will always be a favorite author.

7. Fourteen & Holding by Candice F Ransom.
This was the first teen book I read before actually being  a teenager. Initially I wasn't keen to read it, but then it became a book that I read so often that it had to be held together with sticky tape.

8. Junk Castle by Robin Klein.
Ah, yes! The ultimate childhood fantasy - to build, not a cubby house, but an actual castle made of junk. Need I say more.

9. The Jolly Postman by Janet & Allan Ahlberg.
I have already mentioned a love of reading journals. Well how about letters? This is a great one for any child, particularly as it is a tactile experience of opening envelopes and unfolding letters.

10. Where the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker.
This is an amazing visual piece. The collages that fill the pages of this book were made out of actual pieces from nature. So much detail went into this book, that you really feel like you are inside an Australian rain forest. Honestly, no words can convey just how beautiful this story is.