Are you struggling with writer's block? Are the kids crying ‘I'm bored’? Has the whole power grid gone out preventing the use of the Playstation? We'll then I've got a solution for you.
- Grab an empty jar and an old newspaper [or magazine] ready for the recycle heap.
- Cut out random words from the newspaper and place these into the jar [ie. umbrella, cat, moon, boy, et cetera]. Fill up the jar till about half way.
- Close the jar and shake it up.
- Open the jar and randomly pull out three or four words.
- You will then write a short story, incorporating the words that you have removed from the jar.
If you are more of an illustrator, than a writer, this activity can quite easily still apply. Simply include the worded things into an illustration.
You can turn this activity into a competition for kids. Simply set a fifteen minute time limit to write the story. At the end the kids get to share with each other the story they have written.